ABOUT | FAITH | LIFE | FOOD | TRAVELS | KOREA | CHECK IT

Friday, February 21, 2014

Snowboarding at Alpensia Resort in Pyeongchang

For my man's birthday I promised him I'd plan a snowboarding trip.  So we took the day off school on Valentine's day and headed out early to Pyeongchang (where the 2018 Olympics will be held).

Honestly, I feel as a foreigner, it's difficult to plan vacations or get a ton of information about things here in Korea.  So many cities around the world have a wealth of English language information, including copious reviews on Trip Advisor and helpful English websites.  Korea is a bit more of a challenge.

A famous ski resort called YongPyong is in PyeongChang, but it was kinda hard to figure out how to stay there, so I found a Holiday Inn at a nearby ski resort called Alpensia.

It was easy to make a reservation (albeit a bit pricy) so I went for it.  Then came to getting there.  That was another hassle in a busy week.  Finally I thought to call 1330, which is a number people can call of any type of information and they helped me find the number for a shuttle service.  It picked us up at 5:30 from Itaewon Station (near our house) so that was great.

So overall, planning it was a little confusing but once we were on our way it was great!

The resort was really nice and the hotel was the best I've stayed in in Korea.  The bed was so wonderful!  I'd recommend it for sure.  The panorama below is the view from our room!

There was a ton of fresh snow there, which was nice!  It's been pretty warm in Seoul and this was a nice surprise.  I was not sad to leave it though! :)

My man said the slopes were better for skiers, as they were pretty fast and steep.

I chose to sit in a coffee shop and then the room all day because I hate skiing.  It was great!!

On Friday, it was like a ghost town, no one there!  Saturday (when the pic below was taken) was a little busier, but still completely comfortable compared to other Korean skiing resorts I've been to.

All in all, it was a great (one over night) trip.  I think we'll plan one each year!





1 comment:

  1. ooh--looks like great skiing! Maybe Jim and I will have to ski next year while you drink coffee! ha ha! I love skiing!

    ReplyDelete