ABOUT | FAITH | LIFE | FOOD | TRAVELS | KOREA | CHECK IT

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fall Seoraksan Getaway

Our last few months have been crazy, with cross country and planning for Week Without Walls (See previous two posts.)  One of our main goals this year was to get out and see the country, but we haven't had many opportunities.  On our first free weekend, we took a day off school and headed out to Seoraksan, Korea's most famous national park.

You don't have to spend much time here to figure out that Koreans love hiking and love getting out of the city. (Especially the older ones.)

Seoraksan is a huge park, about a 3 or 4 hour bus ride away from Seoul.  I have always wanted to go, but never made it out there.  I've heard it's especially nice in the fall, so we made it a goal to get there this year.  It was beautiful!  I think the leaves would have been a little more intact and beautiful one week earlier, but we couldn't go until this weekend, (November 1-3) and it was still lovely.

I can plan 540 lessons a year for school, but have the most wicked time planning trips.  We did everything at the last minute, the way everyone talked, I thought everything would be booked...but it wasn't!  We stayed at Seoraksan Tourist Hotel, the only hotel right in the park.  It was perfect because everything was right there and we didn't have to bus in in the mornings.  It was also super easy to get a bus there and back.

We left on Friday night, got in and ate right away.  We ordered seafood pancake and stir fried squid and pork. Mmmm dinner of champions.  The next day we ordered ojingah soondae which is squid stuffed with rice and other stuff.  So that makes three meals of squid in two days.  We were ready to get back, and ate pizza right away, let's just let that be known.

On Saturday morning (after falling asleep at 7:30 and getting 12 hours of sleep...) we got up to hike a 6 hour loop.  It was fine for about 4/10ths of the way until it started sprinkling.  It didn't let up all day so we were cold and wet by the time it was all over.  All my pictures are from the first half of our hike.  It was so lovely.  Although there were many people at the entrance to the park, I mean MANY people...there were not many on our trail and we had a relaxing time.

Afterwards we holed up in a coffeeshop with wireless with the intent of planning our Christmas vacation.  IT'S SO STRESSFUL!  I don't know what is up with me and planning vacations, but it's just not that much fun for me.  (first-world problem to the max)  Finally I told my man that I just want him to do it all and he agreed!!!!!!  So we'll see what he comes up with!!  We are presently planning on going to Vietnam and Cambodia...so excited!

The next day we took a cable car up to the top of a mountain, saw some beautiful views (complete with blue skies this time) and rubbed shoulders with plenty of people.

All in all, it was a wonderful little getaway!  We're really hoping to do many more this year, although it's gonna get real cold real fast...

Here are some pics...again, I had a hard time choosing!!

3 comments:

  1. The majesty of God can be seen in just one leaf - yet he inundates us with his majesty in every cell and every element. How can we NOT stand in awe? Glad you got out to experience it!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures make me miss Korea even more! I am blessed to have a friend who brings beauty everywhere she goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just seeing these comments! Thanks guys!! I think I had my comments off for a while...but now they're fixed?

    ReplyDelete