ABOUT | FAITH | LIFE | FOOD | TRAVELS | KOREA | CHECK IT

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Summer Rolls

My favorite thing to eat at Vietnamese restaurants are these delicious wraps made with rice paper, grilled meat, and veggies.  (Goi Cuon I think). They usually come with two sauces and I dream about eating them.  Summer's great because I have time to make all the foods I've been wishing for time to make and it was time to tackle the Vietnamese wraps which as I looked online people were calling them summer rolls so OK now that's what I'll call them (especially because they are a perfect summer food!)

Oh MAN were they good!  And so easy to make. We had them for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and late-night snacks.  I kid you not.  The boxes below yielded about 50 rolls, I'd estimate, but I just made as many as I wanted at a time.  They lasted about a week.  

First I made my sauces.  I used this recipe for Spicy Peanut Sauce (which is so good I eat it by the spoonful) and this recipe for Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce--it reeks but it's delish).  These sauces are what MAKES these.  SO Good. 

Then I cut up my veggies.  Of course, you can use anything you want but I used Korean perilla (sesame) leaves (a type of mint leaf that I feel bad for you if you live where people don't eat these), red bell pepper, sprouts, tofu, red cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, and enoki mushrooms.  A few times I added some shrimps but these are just as good vegetarian.  

Then you take some Vietnamese rice papers and dip them in hot water for a few seconds.  (I use a shallow pot.)

Afterwards you put the goodies on the rice paper, as shown below, not forgetting plenty of peanut sauce!  Then you just roll those suckers up like a burrito and you're good to go.  I like to use a small spoon to dump the Nuoc Cham in the roll after I take the first bite. 

The prep work took a bit of time but it was totally worth it to have these on hand for a week.  We'll probably take a break from them but definitely make more the following week! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment