ABOUT | FAITH | LIFE | FOOD | TRAVELS | KOREA | CHECK IT

Monday, May 6, 2013

Tilapia Tacos

I really like cooking, who knew. My man likes the basics and is easy to please so I am pretty confident in my (very limited) skills. I like to experiment and a lot of times it just makes a mess, but I have yet to mess up tilapia! It just is so good no matter what I do to it. I am super thankful for these frozen tilapia filets from Costco!

My man loves tacos (and/or any combination of taco-type food) and while I admit they're good it sounds healthier to me when made with fish.

I looked up a couple of recipes and came up with a spice rub that's a combo from these two sites.  I quadrupled the original recipe so I could quickly use the spice mix next time we make these.

2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

All you've gotta do is pat the filets dry and rub the spices all over.  I mean all over! (I suppose I should have taken a picture.)  Then cook them up on a skillet with some heated oil (I've been using coconut oil and loving it...), about 3 minutes on each side. (I usually break them in half at the end just to make sure they're done).

Afterwards, put them in the tortilla and shred the fish with a fork.  One filet makes two tacos.  For lunch we had one taco, but for dinner we'll go crazy and have two each.

We like ours with cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole (if we have it)...ps, the spice mix works great with some mashed up avocados too!

Try it I promise you'll like it, the fish is so flavorful and light...such a great improvement on ground beef  and packaged seasoning.
Thanks for reading my first attempt at a recipe post!  I usually cook at night but was excited to make a meal during the day on Saturday and was loving the light!  I want to get better at food photography, that's for dang sure. (ok all photography in general...)

No comments:

Post a Comment