ABOUT | FAITH | LIFE | FOOD | TRAVELS | KOREA | CHECK IT

Monday, April 8, 2013

Trusting in God's Promises

This post has taken me a long time to write.

I love living in Korea but the recent threats from the North have proven difficult for me to process.  While the Western media has new articles every day about the crazy talk from Kim Jung-Un's mouth people in South Korea go on about their lives without so much as batting an eye...or so it seems.

The American embassy sent out an email on April 5th reassuring us that
"The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that despite current political tensions with North Korea there is no specific information to suggest there are imminent threats to U.S. citizens or facilities in the Republic of Korea (ROK).  The Embassy has not changed its security posture and we have not recommended that U.S. citizens who reside in, or plan to visit, the Republic of Korea take special security precautions at this time.  The U.S. Embassy takes as its highest priority the welfare of American citizens in Korea.  Should the security situation change, the Embassy will issue updated information."
but I just can't seem to shake my fear and anxiety.   Loud noises scare my and my heart races and my mind starts to flutter and sometimes I have trouble sleeping.

Most of my coworkers seem to go about their days with not a worry in the world so I'm sitting here wondering what's wrong with me.

I think some of it stems from a bad experience with a plane this past summer...I thought we were done for, and I distinctly remember thinking all at once that I wasn't ready to die...that I had so much to live for...but at the same time, if I did, I would be with the Lord.  I was scared of the pain but not scared of death.

Now those fears don't last just the two or three minutes they lasted on that plane, but it's been on my mind for days and weeks.  I just want the threats to end.  Oh and I want the millions of starving people in North Korea to find freedom and hope.  It all seems like such an insurmountable problem.

I have NO IDEA how people make it in life apart from the Lord.  What is there to hope in aside from His promises?  What else is there to cling to when all is lost?  For by now all of us surely know that our lives are but a breath.  Relationships are tainted with selfishness.  Our material possessions will rot and our works won't be remembered.

What else is there?  My heart breaks for those who have no hope in Him or who have rejected Him completely.

These days I just want to tune out, I try and turn off and numb my mind and fill it with worthless junk.  What God is calling me is to draw close to him.  I'm just so scared but His word is filled with hope and encouragement for the hopeless and helpless.
~ Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. ~ 1 Peter 5:7
~ The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? ~ Psalm 27:1
~ Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6
~ For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ""Abba," Father." ~ Romans 8:15
~ Therefore do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  Fo our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
~ Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.  And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.  ~ Romans 1:1-5
~ Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. ~ Romans 12:12
~ One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. ~ Psalm 27:5
Please pray for us.  Please pray for our safety.  Please pray for the people of North Korea and the Holy Spirit to reveal Himself to the leaders.  Please pray for peace between the two countries.  Please pray for my anxiety and that I would not live in fear of man but in fear of the Lord.  Please pray that this will strengthen my relationship with the Lord and my dependency on him.  Please pray for my sweet husband that he will know how to deal with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment