ABOUT | FAITH | LIFE | FOOD | TRAVELS | KOREA | CHECK IT

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

As The Rains Come Down...

The most wonderful surprise unfolds daily at my house.

A few weeks ago, on the first day of Spring Break, I took a photo of a budding tree in our [landlord's] yard.  It overhangs our patio and I was excited to take pictures of its growth and progress.  Around the end of the week, as the buds began to open, I realized it was a Cherry Blossom tree!!  I had no idea!  Since we moved into our house in July, the tree's blooming period was finished.

Cherry Blossom trees are beautiful in full bloom and their flowers only last for a week or two.  Their sweet smell begs me to stay a few more minutes by them after I've taken my photographs.  Countries all over the world hold Cherry Blossom Festivals, including Japan, Korea, and even the United States in Washington D.C.  They are lining the walk to our school and every year their blooms are a hopeful promise of warmer weather and a beautiful spring to come.

The winters are long in Korea and Spring is always anxiously awaited. At this time every year I'm reminded of God's promises and graces.  There's a lyric from the song "Wholly Yours" by David Crowder Band that I've always loved, and I always remember at Springtime.
I am full of earth
You are heaven's worth
I am stained with dirt, prone to depravity
You are everything that is bright and clean
The antonym of me
You are divinity
But a certain sign of grace is this
From the broken earth flowers come up
Pushing through the dirt
What a lovely image of how the flowers come up from the cold earth, it's exactly like God's grace with us.  He makes beautiful, fresh, new things out of our dirt and messes.

My man and I are "working" on a Project Life [scrapbook] album and I created and printed out this verse from Isaiah 55 to put in there.  This verse is close to my heart.


This verse reminds us how precious God's word is.  JUST like the rain that God sends at the exact right time, which makes flowers bud and fruit grow, his WORD will accomplish exactly what He desires, when He desires it.  It's hard to remember that sometimes.  Sometimes it's hard to believe His promises because it seems like what I am expecting isn't happening.  But I know God works on his own time, not on mine.

Looking back at verses 8-9:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways declares the Lord.
As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways and
my thoughts than your thoughts.
I want these truths to drive how I live and act daily!

The rains may come, sometime thunderstorms...

but hey, those are what made my Cherry Blossom Tree bloom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment